Painkiller is a first-person shooter featuring a horror setting brought to life by a powerful graphics engine and some of the nastiest level bosses ever seen. The main character is stranded in a place between Heaven and Hell -- the time of judgment is at hand. As a pawn in an unholy war, players battle hordes of monsters while collecting souls. For every 100 souls he can morph into a powerful possessed creature. Played across more than 20 completely different levels, the game is powered by the proprietary 3D "PAIN Engine" and the Havok 2.0 physics engine, allowing for interactive environments and rag-doll physics.
View All (6)Screenshots
- Intense gameplay: The player will be constantly outnumbered, fighting against seemingly insurmountable odds.
- Next-generation graphics: The game uses a proprietary 3D engine capable of pumping out 100X the polygons of some of the latest shooters, while adding increased texture quality and the latest lighting and shadowing techniques.
- Lasting replay value: Painkiller features a standard single player campaign, with additional modes to encourage replay.
- Combo weapons: All weapons come in pairs, with a primary and secondary fire.
- Morphing: Your unholy pact gives you the power to morph into a powerful possessed creature with every 100 souls collected.
- Monster AI: Advanced AI coding will simulate group behaviours. Monsters don't spawn onto the map, they patrol. They are constantly aware of the player, and will coordinate their attacks by retreating, regrouping and counterattacking.
- Physics Engine: Painkiller employs the Havok physics engine, allowing for inverse kinematics ("rag-doll physics") and deformable, interactive environments.
Release Date: 12 APR 2004
Platform: Windows PC
Gameplay: Horror/Thriller, First Person Shooter, Online or Multi-Player, Single-Player, Adventure
Minimum System Requirements
CPU: 1.5GHz Pentium III or AMD Athlon processor or equivalent
Hard Drive Space: 2200 MB
Video Memory: 64 MB
Other: DirectX 8.1b or better compatible
Recommended System Requirements
CPU: 2.4GHz Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor or equivalent
RAM: 512 MB
Video Memory: 128 MB
Other: DirectX 9 card, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or better
View All Videos
(click to view)